An independent economic researcher and a journalist at the Real News Network. His research topics include:
- Privatization of security
- Global arms trade
- Israeli arms trade and security sector
- The economic aspect of the Israeli occupation of the Palestinian territory
- International aid to the Palestinians and to Israel
Shir Hever holds a Ph.D from the Free University of Berlin. His most recent book, based on his Ph.D dissertation, is titled The Privatization of Israeli Security (Pluto Press, 2017).
- Jüdische Stimme für gerechten Frieden in Nahost (board member) – a Jewish German organization promoting just peace in Israel/Palestine. The organization is a member of the EJJP: European Jews for Just Peace.
- Alternative Information Center, a joint Palestinian-Israeli organization active in Jerusalem and Beit Sahour.